Football Federation Tasmania chief executive John Bulbous said an announcement on T-League and an update on sponsorship would be made on Monday or Tuesday but he was very confident about a 2013 start.
It is understood about a dozen teams have applied from across the state to be part of the eight-team competition.
Northern Premier League clubs Northern Rangers, Prospect Knights, Launceston City and Devonport City have applied while Burnie United, Launceston United, Ulverstone, Somerset and Riverside Olympic have not.
Devonport City coach Chris McKenna said it was his club's goal to play at the highest level possible in any competition. The Strikers won the state league in 1998 but withdrew from the 1999 season due to travel costs.
Northern Rangers secretary Brendan Lichtendonk said his club was keen to be involved under the right model.
FFT announced last year that it wanted to restore the statewide league that was downgraded to separate Northern and Southern leagues in 2000.
Depending on the level of sponsorship, FFT proposes a $10,000 nomination fee from clubs but would provide a travel allowance and $30,000 in prize money.
Former police commissioner Jack Johnston and former Attorney-General Sir Max Bingham have been drafted by FFT to assess applications and recommend the best eight clubs to the FFT board.
Their assessment, based on several requirements, including financial security, appropriate club facilities, junior pathways, technical staff and accredited coaches, will be finalised in the next few weeks.
FFT has not given a preferred ratio of Northern, North-Western and Southern clubs, saying that selections would be based on the club's ability to meet selection criteria. If successful, T-League could be expanded to 10 teams.
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff